We, Constellation Marine Services LLC as independent ship and marine surveyors, get nominations from our principals to carry out Magnetic Particle testing. Recently we got a nomination from one of our clients to carry out Magnetic Particle testing on board the semi-submersible to test the welded joints/weld bevel of sea fastening. Our Naval Architect/Marine Surveyor upon in receipt of instruction, arranged to attend an inspection on board the subject vessel at Anchorage.
- 3 no’s of dumb barges were loaded onto the semi-submersible. Supports, brackets & stoppers were welded in order to arrest the sliding movements during the voyage.
- Welding of sea fastening was performed by both repair company & vessel staff.
- 25 % of total weld area has inspected. Weld surface has been cleaned by the repair team in order to conduct the proper MPI test.
PURPOSE OF MPI TESTING.
Magnetic particle testing is a Non-destructive testing performed on the welded joints to find out the linear & rounded defects in the welded surface.
EQUIPMENT USED & PERSONAL QUALIFICATION:
- Constellation inspector has conducted Wet particle testing so following equipment’s were used
- Permanent magnetic York with adjustable pole.
- Aerosol spray (contrast & black).
- Attended inspector was qualified with ASNT LEVEL II.
- Constellation inspector performed the MPI test in presence of Superintendent & MWS.
- Welded surface has been cleaned before conducting MPI.
- Concerns during testing was rectified by repair team at the same time.
- MPI testing was performed as per standard AWS D1.1.
ACCEPTANCE CRETERIA & REFERENCES:
- AWS D1.1,
- ASME B31.1,
- ASME CODE SECTION I, V
- ASTM E709.
Inspection were carried out in accordance with AWS D1.1 and inspected weld joints were found satisfactory at the time of inspection.
Prepared by Engr. Vignesh Prabhu ASNT II.
Naval Architect/Marine Surveyor.